Tuesday 24 June 2014

Tip Tuesday: Starting Harry

I've spent this morning working on the start my charity print, and I thought I'd share my process as the first 'Tip Tuesday' post! To find out more about why I'm drawing this pony, see here.

I start by doing several freehand 'warm-up' sketches, preferably of the same subject. I do these to loosen up my wrist and hand movements, and also to get me in the right frame of mind before working on a larger or longer piece. Today, the subject of my 'real' work is Harry, so the warm ups were small, quick Harrys, referenced from photos. These maybe took 2 or 3 minutes each.


After the warm up sketches, I begin the piece that is the focus of the day, Harry's portrait. I start by drawing out the linework. Unlike in my freehand sketches, where I draw it out with circles and sketchy marks with a heavy pencil, I begin realism with either a grid system or a projector, and a light HB, which ensures I get all the proportions correct. I am not yet confident enough with my freehand skill that I would get the proportions right, though that should come in time and with practice. I then quickly scribble in some shading to give him some shape.


I use close cross-hatching to build up the shadows and forms of his face. I am still using a HB pencil at this point.


And this is how he looks currently. He's had three hours work, from blank page to this. After sorting out the mane, I will then be working over the image several times with softer pencils, deepening the shadows and adding details. I'll post another update later, hopefully he'll be finished by tonight!


1 comment:

  1. Oh wow!!! You are brilliant at drawing!! LOVE that its all freehand aswell! I never could draw very well, I could when I was a kid, but my skills haven't progressed as I've grown up haha, much to my disappointment as mum is a great artist aswell. Can't wait to see this wee guy all done! He's too cute and reminds me alot of my mini mare :)

    ReplyDelete