Tuesday 2 September 2014

The GDSF: WW1

This year marks 100 years since the start of World War One, and the Great Dorset Steam Fair had dedicated an area of the grounds to having a trench re-creation set up. You could walk down into the trench, alongside uniformed actors, who were sat eating their rations. They had a selection of WW1 vehicles around the area, as well as a working blacksmith set up. Also, GDSF releases a harness brass each year, and this year, they had special 'Lest We Forget' ones. Poppet had both of the 2014 hanging from her harness.



There were appropriately dressed helpers on hand to answer questions from the public, and some examples of war-time equines, who enjoyed a good petting between displays. The lovely old Tennessee walker on the right had the cutest baby-face and kept pulling very funny expressions, much to the amusement of the crowd!



There was also this lovely-coated dappled grey, who I watched do some ridden exercise. She had really lovely movement, and I really wish I could've taken her home!


And then, across all the fences, some glorious recreation tack! The hobbyist in me knew that I had to get some photos for all the tack makers out there ..



And the last thing in this area, but definitely not least .. MULES! I really do love mules, I mean, just look at their silly ears! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment