Tuesday 2 September 2014

The Great Dorset Steam Fair 2014

The Great Dorset Steam Fair has come and gone again. Always a wonderful affair, and quite unique, with the mix of working heavy horses and driving, next to tractor pulling, steam engines, stationary engines, monster trucks, craft halls, classic cars, classic motorcycles, farming implements, gypsy cabins, massive fair ground and the extensive trade area (complete with a "scraps stall" at the top full of rusted bits of tractors). There's always a lot to see and do (and eat!) so the fact that I'm there from the Wednesday when it opens, till the Monday when it's all closed and being taken down is just brilliant and gives me time to see it all without missing much at all.

The weather this year was less than great, and we started the week off with rain and mud. A lot of mud. Thankfully, there are a lot of tractors on site anyway, and they were put to use pulling all the caravans and cars out of the worst bits! Over the week, the weather cleared up and the sun dried up the mud, however after spending the first few days stood shooting in the rain, I started to get fluey. Saturday afternoon was one I spent in my camper bed. I forced myself out on Sunday for the final day, and managed to get around to buying a small fortunes worth of 'Fudge Kitchen' fudge, which certainly cheered me up for the drive home! Big 'thank you's to my dad and Yve for taking me again, and here's hoping next year will bring better weather!

As always, you can view all my photos here on my facebook page, but here are a few just to give you a taste!










No comments:

Post a Comment