Wednesday 16 July 2014

Another sculpt?!!

So, I've decided to take up another project, alongside my two miniature full sculpts, pencil work, and current commissions (don't worry guys, I'm working on them, I promise!). Cue the entrance of a traditional scale sports-horse bust .. well, I need to practice sculpting heads, I guess. This post has a lot of images, so I made them quite small, though clicking on them makes them larger.

Today, I did the research, sketching and planning. This dappled grey I spotted at Brightling Horse Trials was my initial inspiration. I liked his positioning in the central picture, with the one shoulder pushed forward, neck arched, one are flicked back. His eager-to-please expression and wibbley top lip were also deciding factors. 



I then spent time searching through the rest of my picture on this computer, selecting those which would be useful for my goal. Photos that clearly show the neck and chest muscles, the wrinkles, the veins, and general bone structure and angles.



And then I set to work. I've put about a couple of hours into this chap, I should really have timed it to be fair. But this is just a practice run, so the positioning is pretty off, I was just testing the waters and seeing how well I could create the head. I think I did quite well for a first attempt, besides the fact he doesn't much resemble my original inspration. I was following Emilia Kurila's brilliant 'The Head Tutorial', which is kindly posted on Braymere Custom Saddlery's blog. That blog is on my 'check daily' list, and I suggest you put it on yours! Anyway, here is my first attempt at capturing the 3D the facial features of a horse. (He then proceeded to topple of the shelf I was photographing him on and smoosh most of himself. And that was the end of that, I guess!) Maybe next week I'll make a proper base and start sculpting it again for real. 






No comments:

Post a Comment